Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Tulip Time | Wooden Shoes

One thing that the Dutch are known for are their Wooden Shoes.


Yes, those are my wooden shoes, and yes I have to dance in them. We (meaning Dutch Dancers) Always get asked about our shoes, whether they are comfy and what not. I have to say no, they are not comfy, but they are not as awful as they could be. Thats because we wear layers and layers of socks. I wear about 10 pairs of socks, but I have a friend who only wears 4 because her socks are super thick, and another friend who wears 20. You get used to dancing in them. For me the worst part is walking around in them. As a Dutch Dancer, if you have your costume on and you are out of your car then you must have EVERYTHING on; your hat, your shoes, and each piece of costume. 


So really they are not all that bad. It's kinda cool to say that I wear actual wooden shoes. Its not fun when it rains though, because the water soaks through. Thats why we Don't want it to rain during Tulip Time, it makes the streets slippery too. Each shoe is hand made, there are plenty of places in Holland that demonstrates and makes them. They are originally from the Netherlands, but they don't wear them there anymore. So thats a little info on wooden shoes for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment