Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Elder's Trip

     On nights I work, I go right from school (because I'm still in high school) to the farm. Last night, right as I pulled in, I saw a large white bus going up the hill to the farm in front of me. It wasn't like a school bus, but it's one of those bus's to transport the elderly from nursing homes. I of course found that out as I stepped out of my car. This meant I had a group of about 7 elderly and three of their nurses coming to the farm. Surprise!
     It was a good surprise though. I brought them into the class room, and just had them all find a spot to sit and I brought them animals. I'm pretty sure bunnies were the biggest hit. I showed them all the baby ones and then brought in a giant angora. I also showed them Cooper the dog, and some goats and lots of baby's.
     Near the end, one of the helpers came up and thanked me for all the help. She then went to say that all of the elders they had come with had dementia. I had actually kinda wondered if that was the case, but I wasn't positive until she told me. That explained why I heard about how one man grew up on a farm, over and over. I was also asked what kind of animal they all were multiple times. One of the lady's called every animal that came through a puppy, which was quite sweet. Mr. Chops (who is our resident old pig) was in the room there, because he sleeps in the corner, and I was asked what type of animal he was a hundred times or more.
      I didn't really mind at all. They were all sweet people. More me, it was interesting to see how each one of them were so different. One of them were hard of hearing, but she never stopped smiling at me. Another was too scared to pet any of them except for the bunny. One lady kept falling asleep :) They were all so different, even in their own age.
     To be able to see the joy on their faces, I can't even describe it to you. It really makes me think that even though they are 'just animals' they really do so much for people. Dogs really are a mans best friend, or a goat or a bunny or what ever type of animal you have.
     At the end the lady from the nursing home gave me a check as a donation. She said she was sorry she couldn't give more, but that was all the budget they had. The check was for $8, which to be honest isn't much. But it reminds me of why we made the farm free for people. Some people just can't afford to come. If we had charged them as a 'field trip' group, they would not have been able to come. Even for me it was worth it for them to come. I loved seeing their smiling faces, and it was a wonderful time.
    I hope that one day, I can be that awesome when I am old and wrinkly. Then I can be like the one man that kept saying he used to work on a farm, over and over. Yup. That will be me one day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment