Friday, February 8, 2013

Boy & Girls Club.

        Yesterday, I got to go to the boys and girls club in Holland. Every week (at least I am pretty sure they are going every week), the Critter Barn is heading over to the BGC and just bringing one type of animal each time. As Mary explanes it, "we are trying to build a relationship." So each week it will be around the same kids, and they will expect and enjoy the CB coming each week.
        Even as we walking through the doors, kids were running up to the front desk and asking if the CB was going to come today or not. One little boy was extra excited, and burst through the doors and before even getting to the desk was asking across the room.
        This time, we brought bunnies. Now this was my first time going, but they had been there one time before. Mary is on a short vacation at the moment, so I sorta went in her stead. So the kids already, sorta, knew Greg, Jane, + Mary (a different Mary), who had been there the week before. Each of them remembered some of the kids, but me, I was just meeting these kids for the first time.
        The first group that came in was the smallest kids, and boy where they cute. Greg introduced me, and they all said hi to me. :) That just makes me smile. Then when Greg asked them to all close there eyes, because he was going to bring out the large fluffy angora bunny for a surprise, they were quite adorable. And surprisingly, they didn't really peak. They were also so well behaved, they were polite, and shared the bunnies really well.
        One of the little boys was holding one of 'my' rabbits, or the rabbits that I was watching, and as he sat on the ground with the bunny snuggled to his chest, he leaned back on me. It was just a sort of simple, yet sweet thing. I guess that just stood out to me.
        Also, we had some extra time at the end, so we had the older kids come. They were just as excited as the younger ones! In a way, they were even more funny to watch. One girl fell in love with one of the mini rex's and that was the only bunny she held the entire time. Two of the girls had two of the bunnies get 'married'. That was quite cute to watch. There were some older boys in this group, and one of them didn't want anything to do with the bunnies, while the other two were just as excited as the girls. One of the boys took a liking to the angora Maya, and they snuggled for quite a while. Greg even made a comment about Maya finally not being lonely... Implying that Maya liked liked the boy. It was cute, and everyone laughed. Some of the girls now had competition!
        Overall, it was a really good time. I really enjoyed being able to see how things work at the BGC. I had always wondered, but never actually been there. Every kid was so nice and sweet, and especially well behaved. They were also excited to learn thing, cause we gave them a short lesson on rabbits. Plus there was a wide diversity of many different age children. I overheard someone talking, and apparently they have about 70 kids each day. They help them with their homework, and they get a snack. Plus they all get to hang out with there friends. As we got there, some of the kids were having a dance party.
        So that was my day yesterday, and I guess it just reminded me how much I love my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment