Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Call of Shame

This is a story that I'm not all too proud of, but its funny all the same.
Yesterday at work, it was the first day of spring fling. TONS of people came out, so it was a pretty busy all day. After the day was over, and everyone went home - me and another co-worker were closing up the farm. Since it was going to get down to 30 degrees that night we had to close everything up, so that the animals would not freeze. I was sent to close that doors to the rosters outdoor pens. They live in a hut, but they each have an outdoor area they can get too.
I went in the first pen, and the rooster in there jumped up and started attacking me. Let me just say here that I might have a small fear of chickens, even before this happened, so I was freaking out. So I turn to get out as this thing is clawing at me and pecking me and pretty much trying to kill me.
I turn to open the door and realize.... Its locked. The door closed behind me, and normally we have little wires that help us pull open the door even when we are inside - but this one did not have that....
So here I am with this rooster trying to kill me, and I am just standing there kicking it. I know your not supposed to kicked the animals... but that was the only way to defend myself! To keep the rooster from getting to my leg I had to hold up my leg to keep it away.
Of course I knew what I had to do next, call Greg my co-worker... But that was the last thing I wanted to do. In the summer we always tell the new volunteers coming in, during their training the story of someone who got stuck in the chicken coop. It is pretty much the most humiliating and embarrassing thing that could happen to someone. Finally I gave in and called Greg who just started laughing as I awkwardly told him, trying not to cry. That rooster was scary!
After the longest three minutes of my life he FINALLY came. Of course I had my leg up that entire time, trying to keep the rooster off of my. So my leg hurt, but I was free! Greg then took out the rooster and held it and the rooster was being all nice and friendly to HIM. He tried to get me to pet him, but No Thank You.
I am pretty sure I will never live down my 'call of shame,' as Greg called it. Soon enough everyone will know the story. This summer, they will probably tell the story of how I got stuck in the chicken coop. As long as I stay away from that rooster, I should be okay.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel:
    I read your whole blog (I think I got all the posts you have!!) and it just delighted me. I understood exactly what you were talking about when you explained how awful it felt to lose the mother goat, and I understood the absolute depth of joy/delight/awe you felt when you witnessed successful births, babies learning to stand, goats nursing successfully, mothers struggling to be good moms eve when they couldn't stand...When our dog went into labor, she was so quiet in the middle of the night (she was sleeping next to our bed) that we didn't hear her. She lost her first pup and she tore--we felt terrible, like it was our fault. I don't think it was, but who knows? These are complex matters and there are so many variables we don't know about...Once the last three were born healthy and began to nurse well, we were so glad and filled with relief. Then Bear got really sick (mastitis, acute kidney failure) and we felt terrible again. Oh the ups and downs and taking care of animals. But it is so so rewarding. So I loved every minute of reading your blog, all the stories, all the descriptions, all the detail. it made my day! The photos are precious!!
    Can you share some of your gorgeous mountain photos for devos some time this week? They are AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete