Friday, September 20, 2013

What street do you live on?

At my Tuesday/Friday site for SOGO, I go to Holland East to work with low functioning special needs kids. Most of them are in kindergarden, but one of them is in second grade. There are six kids in all, but I am just going to focus on one today - Jacob.

Jacob can not walk much, or at all really and he also has trouble eating. This means that he has a very special diet of many liquidy foods. He has a cup full of a special drink that he must drink each day, and so we are always reminding him to take a sip. It takes him all day to finish it... Jacob is such a cute little boy, I still can't get how adorable he is.
Jacob also struggles with speaking up. He likes to talk in a very soft and quiet voice, which I find quite cute, but it is not acceptable. These kids are all in this class so that they can get integrated into society better, and learn what it is to be a real kid. So we have to always make sure that Jake is using his 'big boy voice.' He is getting better and better by the day.

This past week I was helping out when Jacob called me over, by my name. Out of the six kids, only Jake and Gavin really know my name. Gavin always try's to say Rachael, but it is really just a jumble of words. Jake said my name perfectly, and I was quite shocked. Firstly I was shocked at the clarity of him saying it, and secondly he remembered my name and it was only my third day there. I had been more with Gavin and him in those three days as well.
The two of us started talking and he asked me about my school. I told him I went to another school just like him and that I was in class too. He then asked what street I lived on. I was quite confused for a second, it was such a random question. I told him I lived on Norwood, and he asked what street was connected to Norwood. I told him the closet 'big' street near my house. He had to mull that over for a bit. We then headed off to lunch, Jacob talking to me the entire time. The workers could not believe he was being so 'smart', to put it in a simple way. Throughout lunch Jacob kept talking to me, asking me questions and telling me about himself. Finally we had to say he had to finish each part of his food before he could talk to me. He sure ate fast. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment